Canada is a safe place to live in as it is among the top ten safest countries in the world. They welcome and treat everybody equally regardless of religion, background, race or belief and be sure to enjoy a low cost of live with high standard of living in the country. It has been seen to be among the countries with a high standard and living and better work condition for foreigners.
In this article, we will show you how to apply for a Canadian visa from Brazil in 2021 and enjoy all the sweet things that comes with living and working in Canada.
Canadian Visa Options
There are over 100 visa and immigration options available to you. Whichever way you choose to go to Canada depends on your intention in the country whether work or study. Let’s take a look at some visa options below:
- Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)
- Study Permit
- Work Visa
- Permanent Visa
Let’s explain each of them…
- Electronic Travel Authorization
An Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) is an entry requirement for visa-exempt foreigners travelling to Canada by air. The eTA is electronically linked to your passport and is valid for up to five years or until your passport expires.
This type of visa can be used when you want to visit family or friends in Canada.
What are the benefits of an eTA?
- You can apply online
- It only takes a few minutes to receive approval, although some may take several days if documents need to be submitted
- It cost only 7 CAD
- The eTA is linked to your passport electronically, so you do not have to carry additional documents around as it eases stress.
This applies to any citizen from Brazil who is in possession of a Canadian visa in the last 10 years or currently posses a valid United States non-immigrant visa. Anyone that does not meet the criteria will need to get the visitors’ visa.
- Study Permit
Some of the best universities in the world are in Canada and so many students may want to immigrate to Canada to study. The University of Toronto is currently ranked the 26th best university in the world. If you plan to study in Canada you will certainly need a study visa and having this visa also allows you to also work as a student part-time. The study permit is valid for the period of your program plus additional 90 days. This extra 90 days, will allow you the time to find a job within your field and apply for a work visa in a bid to get permanent residence in Canada.
How do I apply for a study permit?
Below are some of the things you will need when applying for a Canadian study permit:
- An acceptance letter from a Designated Learning Institution (DLI)
- A valid passport or travel document
- Proof you can finance yourself and any family members who go with you, while in Canada
In some cases, you’ll need to submit the following:
- A letter of explanation
- A certificat d’acceptation du Québec (CAQ) if studying in Quebec
- A custodian declaration, if you’re a minor
Other document you may need depends on your country.
The means by which you can apply is entirely up to you, it can be done either by mail or online but ensure to apply before travelling to Canada. If your application is approved you’ll also receive an eTA, you should know that the study permit is not a visa.
If your country is among the eligible countries under the Student Direct Stream, you can receive your study permit much faster. The application process can be as short as 20 days.
Every foreigner will need to acquire a work visa in order to work and live in Canada. There are two main types of work permits:
Employer-specific work permit – this permit allows you to work in Canada under special conditions usually limiting the worker to one employer and position. It is sometimes called a closed work permit.
Open work permit – this permit will allow you to have any job in any province or territory in Canada. It also means you are exempted from a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA).
A Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) is a document that proves that there aren’t any capable Canadian citizens or permanent residents able to fill a certain position. A positive LMIA is sometimes called a confirmation letter showing that the employer needs a foreign worker to fill a job position.
Work visa eligibility
Each of the work permit listed above has its own requirements, there are general requirements that are needed to apply for a Canadian visa from Brazil in 2021. You have to:
- Prove to an officer that you will leave Canada when their work permit expires
- Show that you have enough money to take care of yourself and any family member during your stay in Canada and to return home
- Obey the law and have no record of criminal activity (IRCC may ask applicants to give a police clearance certificate)
- Not be a danger to Canada’s security
- Be in sound health and have a medical exam, if needed
- Not plan to work for an employer listed with the status “ineligible” on the list of employers who failed to comply with the conditions
- Not plan to work for an employer who, on a regular basis, offers striptease, erotic dance, escort services or erotic massages
- Give the officer any other documents they ask for to prove the applicant can enter the country.
Permanent Resident Visa
There are several programs that allow foreigners to become Canadian permanent residents. The Express Entry system is one of those programs. The Express Entry system is an online immigration system for potential foreign skilled workers through three federal immigration programs. They are:
- Federal Skilled Worker Program.
- Federal Skilled Trades Program.
- Canadian Experience Class (CEC)
If you’re eligible for the Express Entry, you’ll get placed into a draw pool with other candidates where your profile will be given a Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) score which determines your ranking. If you meet or exceed the qualifying CRS score then you will receive an Invitation to Apply (ITA) which means you have the opportunity to apply for Canadian permanent residency. this draw is done as often as every two weeks.
You should know that:
The Express Entry system has a goal of issuing 108,500 Invitations to Apply for 2021 alone. This is an opportunity for you so don’t miss out.
Canadian Visa Costs
|Canadian Visa Fees|
|Fees||Amount in CAD|
|Electronic Travel Authorization||$7|
|Study Permit (including extensions)||$150 per person|
|Work permit (including extensions)||$155 per person|
|Open work permit holder||$100|
|Permanent Resident – Processing fee ($825) and right of permanent residence fee ($500)||$1,325|
Moving to Canada from Brazil
Over 50 percent of Brazilians in Canada live in Ontario, while 26 percent reside in Quebec, and 13 percent in British Columbia. These provinces are in the top three for having the highest minimum wage in Canada. They are also wonderful cities full of potential and opportunities.
If you are planning on moving with your family, you’ll be happy to know that education is highly rated in Canada which is probably why Canada hosts the largest number of Brazilian students.